During the month of November, students practiced the skill of a Growth Mindset. Classes kept track of the number of times students demonstrated the power of YET! We know that in life, we will face setbacks, difficulties, and make mistakes but all of these are opportunities for us to learn and improve! ood
teaching and hard work.
For the month of December, we will be learning and practicing COGNITIVE FLEXIBILITY! Cognitive flexibility is a skill and takes practice! Cognitive flexibility is:
- The ability to change our strategies when we face new and unexpected conditions in the
- Solving problems in new situations
- Our ability to make sense of the unexpected
- Switching tasks easily
- The ability to shift and change our thoughts as needed in a situation
- Being able to think flexibly
WHY DOES COGNITIVE FLEXIBILITY MATTER? HOW DOES IT HELP US?
Cognitive flexibility is the skill that helps us understand the unfamiliar. It’s important for innovating, coming up with new ideas and solving problems and is essential to creativity. It helps us easily switch from task to task, which can improve our success at school and work. Cognitive flexibility can also improve our relationships, break down stereotypes and help us understand our world from different perspectives. Life doesn’t always follow a predictable pattern; cognitive flexibility helps us navigate uncertainty and feel like we have more options when faced with challenges. As things change around us, we need to change in order to maintain our wellbeing.
RESEARCH BASED OUTCOMES OF COGNITIVE FLEXIBILITY
1. Helps us solve problems
2. Allows us to switch easily from task to task
3. Improves our resilience and ability to bounce back in difficult times
4. Helps us see the world from others’ perspectives
5. Improves our relationships with friends
6. Improves learning and memory
7. Lowers stress levels
HOW TO MAKE YOUR STORY ONE OF COGNITIVE FLEXIBILITY
Stories of cognitive flexibility involve people having to see their situations from a different perspective, reframing their situation in a more positive light or accepting someone with different ideas and beliefs. These stories also involve people adapting well to unfamiliar circumstances or solving difficult problems by thinking outside the box. Many creative breakthroughs and new solutions are a result of cognitive flexibility.